This study tests a new teacher professional development program, Bridging English Language Learning and Academics (BELLA)*, for increasing the language and literacy skills of young Latino English learners.
The purpose of this randomized control trial is to test the efficacy of the BELLA professional development program for improving teacher and student outcomes.
Teacher outcomes of interest include:
- Collaboration between the ESL and classroom teachers
- Implementation of high-impact instructional strategies
- Incorporation of the students’ cultural wealth into the classroom
Student outcomes of interest include:
- Foundational literacy skills
- Language and writing skills
- Comprehension for literature and informational texts
- Vocabulary use and functions, and
- Academic engagement
- Improving Young English Learners’ Language and Literacy Skills Through Teacher Professional Development: A Randomized Controlled Trial
- The research team is developing an online version of BELLA professional development: BELLA Online
*Note: BELLA was originally developed under the intervention name Developing Consultation and Collaboration Skills