Lisa A. Gennetian is a visiting associate professor of public policy and a faculty fellow of Duke's Center for Child and Family Policy. Her research portfolio straddles a variety of areas concerning child poverty, from income security and stability to early care and education and how child poverty shapes children’s development, with a lens toward causal mechanisms. Her work with Dr. Eldar Shafir “The Persistence of Poverty in the Context of Economic Instability: A Behavioral Perspective,” describes a behavioral framework for poverty programs and policy.
In 2015 Gennetian launched the beELL initiative; applying insights from behavioral economics to design strategies to support parent and family engagement in, and enhance the impacts of, existing childhood interventions. She is a co-PI on a large multi-site, multi-year randomized control study of a monthly unconditional cash transfer to low-income mothers of infants and co-PI directing work on poverty and economic self-sufficiency at the National Center for Research on Hispanic Families.
- Poverty and Inequality
- Early Childhood
- Public Policy
- Program Evaluation
- Ph.D. Cornell University - 1998
- B.A. Wellesley College - 1990
Recent Publications (More Publications)
- Fuller, TR; Sciandra, M; Koumans, EH; Boulet, SL; Warner, L; Cox, S; Gennetian, LA (2019) A housing mobility program's impacts on teen and young adult parenting. Ssm Population Health, 9, 100451, [doi], [abs]
- Gennetian, LA; Marti, M; Kennedy, JL; Kim, JH; Duch, H (2019) Supporting parent engagement in a school readiness program: Experimental evidence applying insights from behavioral economics Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 62, 1-10, [doi], [abs]
- Hill, Z; Gennetian, LA; Mendez, J (2019) A descriptive profile of state Child Care and Development Fund policies in states with high populations of low-income Hispanic children Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 47, 111-123, [doi], [abs]
- Gennetian, LA; Rodrigues, C; Hill, HD; Morris, PA (2019) Income Level and Volatility by Children's Race and Hispanic Ethnicity Journal of Marriage and the Family, 81, 204-229, [doi], [abs]
- Gennetian, LA; Rodrigues, C; Hill, HD; Morris, PA (2018) Stability of income and school attendance among NYC students of low-income families Economics of Education Review, 63, 20-30, [doi], [abs]