Congratulations to our 2020 Child Policy Research Certificate graduates!

May 8, 2020

The Center for Child and Family Policy congratulates Cassandra Galeano, Chloe Golfinos and Milan Hamilton on successfully completing and graduating from the Child Policy Research Certificate program. As part of the program, students work closely with faculty members and research scientists to conduct original research on real-world child and family policy issues.

Galeano, sociology major and education minor, worked alongside Professor Angel Harris, on her project, “Gender Gaps in Adolescent Girls’ Math Confidence and Performance: Using Mentor Relationships to Close the Gap.”

Golfinos, political science major and psychology minor, was mentored by Dr. Megan Golonka on her project, “Too Cool for School: School Belonging and Adolescent Behavior.”

“The Child Policy Research certificate has driven and challenged my academic experience at Duke. Without the classes I’ve taken through the certificate program, I would not have met some of my favorite professors and certainly would not have ended up pursuing a career with Teach For America.”

Hamilton, psychology major and education minor, worked with Dr. Kisha Daniels, on her project, “Service Learning as a Perpetuation of Inequity: Developing a More Critical Lens.” Hamilton was a recipient of the Center’s Jacqueline A. Morris Fellowship, which provides research support for mentored projects. She was also recently recognized by Duke University as winner of both the D.T. Stallings Award and Dr. Phail Wynn Jr. Leadership in Education Award.

This certificate program gave me the opportunity to intersect my interests in education and Psychology with my interests in bigger systems in education and the policies that affect children’s learning. . . . I am grateful for the small cohort of Seniors in my graduating class that provided an intimate and close-knit feel to our classroom discussions. We were able to bring in speakers and experts in the field that helped us transform our academic research to more public audiences.”

Congratulations, graduates, on your hard work and well wishes with all of your future endeavors!