Rochelle D. Schwartz-Bloom is a professor of pharmacology and cancer biology at Duke University Medical Center and founder and director of the Duke Center for Science Education.
As director of RISE at Duke (Raising Interest in Science Education, www.rise.duke.edu), Schwartz-Bloom develops and provides novel science education curricular materials to the K-12 and college community. She developed the Pharmacology Education Partnership (www.thepepproject.net), which presents a series of pharmacology- and drug abuse-related science education modules for high school biology and chemistry students. Testing of over 15,000 high school students revealed that student performance in biology and chemistry improved when students used the pharmacology curriculum developed by her team.
With funds provided by the Duke Provost in 2007, Schwartz-Bloom established Duke Center for Science Education. She coordinates Duke faculty and student interests in curriculum development, research, and outreach activities in science education for K-16 students. In 2009, Schwartz-Bloom won the award from the American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology for Exemplary Contributions to Science Education.
- Adolescent Substance Abuse
- Ph.D. Georgetown University - 1983
Recent Publications (More Publications)
- Godin, EA; Kwiek, N; Sikes, SS; Halpin, MJ; Weinbaum, CA; Burgette, LF; Reiter, JP; Schwartz-Bloom, RD (2014) Alcohol Pharmacology Education Partnership: Using Chemistry and Biology Concepts To Educate High School Students about Alcohol. Journal of Chemical Education, 91, 165-172, [doi], [abs]
- Lipkus, IM; Eissenberg, T; Schwartz-Bloom, RD; Prokhorov, AV; Levy, J (2014) Relationships among factual and perceived knowledge of harms of waterpipe tobacco, perceived risk, and desire to quit among college users. Journal of Health Psychology, 19, 1525-1535, , [doi], [abs]
- Chen, C-FJ; Jiang, A; Litkowski, E; Elia, AR; Shuen, JA; Xu, K; Bonhivert, A; Hsu-Kim, H; Schwartz-Bloom, RD (2011) Females Excelling more in math, engineering, and science (femmes): An after-school STEM program for girls that FOSTERS hands-on learning and Female-to-Female mentorship Journal of Women and Minorities in Science and Engineering, 17, 313-324, [doi], [abs]
- Shuen, JA; Elia, AR; Xu, K; Chen, CHJ; Jiang, A; Litkowski, E; Bonhivert, A; Hsu Kim, H; Schwartz Bloom, RD (2011) Females Excelling More in Math, Engineering, and Science (FEMMES): One-day mentorship program to engage 4th-6th grade girls in STEM activities Journal of Women and Minorities in Science and Engineering, 17, 295-312, [doi], [abs]
- Kwiek, NC; Halpin, MJ; Reiter, JP; Hoeffler, LA; Schwartz-Bloom, RD (2007) Relevance. Pharmacology in the high-school classroom. Science, 317, 1871-1872, , [doi]
- RD Schwartz-Bloom and MJ Halpin (2003) Integration of pharmacology topics into high school biology and chemistry classes improves student performance (2003). Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 40, 922-938,