Elizabeth Oltmans Ananat is associate professor of public policy and economics at Duke University. She received a B.A. in political economy and mathematics at Williams College in 1999, a master's degree in public policy from the Ford School at the University of Michigan in 2001, and a Ph.D. in economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2006. In 2010 she served as senior economist for Labor, Education, and Welfare at the White House Council of Economic Advisers. Her research focuses on the intergenerational dynamics of poverty and inequality.
Her work at the Center includes the project Economic and Social Determinants of the Educational, Occupational, and Residential Choices of Young Adults, which is funded by the William T. Grant Foundation.
- Poverty and Inequality
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology - 2006
- Master of Public Policy Ford School of Public Policy, University of Michigan - 2001
- B.A. Williams College - 1999
Recent Publications (More Publications)
- E.O. Ananat with Anna Gassman-Pines and Christina Gibson-Davis (2014) Statewide job losses increase adolescent suicide-related behaviors
- Gibson-Davis, C; Ananat, EO; Gassman-Pines, A (2012) The Effect of Local Economic Downturns on Teen Births: Evidence from North Carolina
- Ananat, EO; Fu, S; Ross, SL (2013) Race-Specific Agglomeration Economies: Social Distance and the Black-White Wage Gap
- E.O. Ananat with Anna Gassman-Pines, Dania Francis, and Christina Gibson-Davis (2013) Children Left Behind: The Effects of Statewide Job Loss on Student Achievement
- Ananat, EO; Hungerman, DM (2012) The Power of the Pill for the Next Generation: Oral Contraception's Effects on Fertility, Abortion, and Maternal & Child Characteristics.
- Ananat, EO (2011) The wrong side(s) of the tracks: The causal effects of racial segregation on urban poverty and inequality
- Ananat, EO; Washington, E (2009) Segregation and Black political efficacy
- Ananat, EO; Gruber, J; Levine, PB; Staiger, D (2009) Abortion and selection
- Ananat, EO; Michaels, G (2008) The effect of marital breakup on the income distribution of women with children
- Ananat, EO; Gruber, J; Levine, P (2007) Abortion legalization and life-cycle fertility