Ben Goodman, PhD, is a research scientist at the Center for Child and Family Policy (CCFP) and a senior fellow at the Center for Child & Family Health at Duke University. He currently serves as the co-director of the Family Connects home visiting programs at CCFP: Durham Connects. In this capacity, he oversees program evaluation for all communities implementing Family Connects and leads the impact evaluation of two randomized control trials of the Family Connects program in Durham, N.C.: Community Prevention of Child Maltreatment and Low-Cost RCT Evaluation of a Universal Postnatal Nurse Home Visiting Program. In addition, he is evaluating the dissemination of the Family Connects model to four low-income, rural counties as part of the North Carolina Race to the Top Early Learning Challenge Grant: Family Connects Evaluation.
Goodman received his doctorate in human development and family studies from The Pennsylvania State University and was a postdoctoral scholar at Penn State’s Prevention Research Center prior to joining the Center for Child and Family Policy.
His research interests focus broadly on the implementation and evaluation of home visiting programs to improve parent and child well-being, as well as the influence of stress and support on the quality of parent-child relationships, parents’ own well-being, and child development.
- Early Childhood
- Program Evaluation
- Ph.D. The Pennsylvania State University - 2009
Recent Publications (More Publications)
- Dodge, K.A., Goodman, W.B., Murphy, R.A., O’Donnell, K., Sato, J., & Guptill, S. (2014) Implementation and randomized controlled trial evaluation of universal postnatal nurse home visiting American Journal of Public Health, S136-S143, , [abs]
- KA Dodge, WB Goodman, RA Murphy, K O'Donnell and J Sato (2013) Randomized controlled trial of universal postnatal nurse home visiting: impact on emergency care. Pediatrics, 132 Suppl 2, S140-S146, [doi], [abs]
- Toward population impact from home visiting (2013) Toward Population Impact from Home Visiting. Zero to three, 33, 17-23, , [abs]
- Dodge, K.A., Goodman, W.B., Murphy, R.A., O’Donnell, K., & Sato, J. (2013) Randomized controlled trial evaluation of universal postnatal nurse home visiting: Impacts on child emergency medical care at age 12-months [Special Issue] Pediatrics, 132, S140-S1246, , [abs]
- Goodman, W.B., Crouter, A.C., Lanza, S.T., Cox, M.J., Vernon-Feagans, L., & The Family Life Project Key Investigators (2011) Paternal work stress and latent profiles of father-infant parenting quality Journal of Marriage and Family, 73, 588-604, [full], [doi], [abs]